“Turns onions into a foodie’s delicacy!”
Original Recipe Author
Despite the risks, we’re firm believers in the “don’t knock it until you’ve tried it” saying.
Sure, sometimes we go for a new recipe, and it turns out to be a total miss. But not this time.
This time, we took a leap of faith and tried an onion jam recipe.
Spoiler alert: it was ridiculously good!
Onion jelly makes for a fantastic sandwich spread, pizza topping, or salad dressing. You can even pop it on a charcuterie board and enjoy it with crackers and cheese.
Are you sold yet? Well, jump right in and start making your own jam jar!
The Best Onion Jam Recipe Ever
- 6 huge onions
- Olive oil (for frying)
- ½ cup date syrup
- ¼ cup honey
- 3 tbsp. lemon juice
- ¼ cup chili sauce
- Some salt
- 2 tsp. black pepper
- Some balsamic vinegar – optional
- Set a non-stick pot on low flame.
- Add all the ingredients into the pot and stir the pot every once in a while.
- Let the jam simmer for around 3 hours or until the liquids reduce.
- Taste to see if it needs more sweetening agents or seasoning blends.
- Allow the onion jelly to cool down before storing/refrigerating it.
- Date syrup and honey are ideal for this recipe. The combo intensifies the flavor and makes it richer.
- The onion jelly usually lasts as long as any other homemade jam. If you really want to extend the shelf life, consider canning a batch.
- This recipe can be so versatile, so have fun testing out different herbs and seasoning blends! Thyme and rosemary are two popular picks to consider.
your time to shine:
Want a chance to feature on our site? comment down below or send us your pictures @sharethecook
Oh, and we almost forgot!
This Best Onion Jam Recipe is a part of our Sides Series. Click NOW for more fun ideas you don’t wanna miss!