“This is no regular cake! It was so delicious we ate the whole thing on the same day, Thank you for such a great recipe.”
Get ready to blow everyone’s minds with this amazing layered coffee cake.
This cake is a crowd-pleaser that’s way easier to make than tiramisu since you may already have all the ingredients in your kitchen.
What’s more? It will fill your house with heavenly nostalgic smells, and don’t get intimidated by how it looks, this is one easy coffee cake to make for sure!
If you have children, it can be a sweet bonding experience taking turns to roll out each layer of this coffee cake. If not, you can have all the fun to yourself!
Without further ado, let’s jump right into the layered coffee cake recipe.
What Makes this Layered Coffee Cake A Must-try?
- It has all the components for the ultimate comfort food experience: sweet, coffee, and nutty flavors. It’s also soft with crunchy walnuts in each bite.
- Kids too young to drink coffee can enjoy this cake without worrying they’re getting too much caffeine.
- It looks and tastes fancy with minimal effort and simple ingredients found in every pantry. Except for walnuts, you don’t need to shop for any other special ingredients.
- You can store it in Tupperware for a quick breakfast on busy mornings. The walnuts make it healthy and filling.
what you’ll need to prepare this Layered Coffee Cake
The Perfect Pairing
Consider the following pairings to perfect the overall experience
Snuggle up with a cup of hot chocolate while you enjoy your amazing layered coffee cake. Chocolate goes well with both coffee and walnuts.
A cup of coffee is a safe choice for those who aren’t fans of mixing up too many flavors. This combo will keep you alert, satisfied, and happy.
If a cocoa drink and coffee aren’t your thing, you can have your cake with a cup of black tea to balance out the calories from the cake.
You can stray from the usual hot beverages by trying out a rather cool glass of milk with your layered coffee cake.
You too can make it!
Just Watch the video and follow the instructions to get the same results!
The Best Layered Coffee Cake
- 3½ cups flour (15½ oz. / 440 g)
- 1 cup sugar (7 oz. / 200 g)
- 1 tablespoon dry yeast (½ oz. / 14 g)
- 5 teaspoons vanilla sugar (1 oz. / 20g)
- 2¼ teaspoons baking powder (½ oz. / 10g)
- 2½ sticks butter-flavored shortening (10½ oz. / 300g)
- 4 tablespoons vinegar
- 4 yolks
- 4 egg whites
- A pinch of salt
- 1 cup sugar (7 oz. / 200 g)
- 4 tablespoons instant coffee
- 1 cup walnuts
- Separate the yolks from the egg whites.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix the flour, sugar, yeast, vanilla, and baking powder.
- Then, add the shortening, yolks, and vinegar to the dry ingredients.
- Next, mix all your dough ingredients and knead them thoroughly until you get a smooth, homogeneous mixture. If the dough is too sticky, you can add some more flour. The dough should have a texture similar to that in the picture below.
- Place the mixture in an oiled bowl and cover it with plastic wrap. Then place it for a minimum of three hours in the fridge. You can leave it overnight for convenience and better consistency.
- Beat your egg whites and add a pinch of salt.
- Gradually add sugar and continue beating until the mixture is smooth and even. Beat until the cream forms soft peaks when you remove the whisk from the bowl.
- Add the instant coffee and beat your mixture until you get a uniform color and stiff peaks.
- Crush the walnuts in a food processor.
- Take your dough out of the fridge and divide it into five equally-sized balls.
- Line the bottom of the pan with parchment paper or oil it to prevent the dough from sticking.
- Between two sheets of parchment paper, roll out the dough balls until they reach the baking pan’s size. Once you finish, you should have five layers of similar dimensions to your pan.
- Put your first layer in the baking pan and spread some of the cream over it.
- Top the cream with the chopped walnuts.
- Repeat the previous step three more times.
- Don’t add anything on the last layer. Instead, pierce it with a fork to allow steam to escape while baking.
- Bake the cake in a preheated oven at 340°F (170°C) for 35 minutes or until the top layer is golden.
- Wait for the cake to cool down. Showcase it on a serving plate, then, sprinkle it with powdered sugar.
your time to shine
Want a chance to feature on our site? comment down below or send us your pictures @sharethecook
Oh, and we almost forgot!
The Best Layered Coffee Cake is a part of our Originals Series. Click NOW for more fun ideas you don’t wanna miss!