“A cheesy delight mixed with savory olives in a puff pastry pocket for anyone to make!”
Original Recipe Author
Whether you’re looking for an appetizer to make in a pinch or a snack to satisfy your cheese cravings, puff pastry cheese pockets are your answer.
It’s budget-friendly, easy to make, and a crowd-pleaser even for picky eaters, what’s not to love? Stick around as we dive into our must-try recipe of delectable puff pastry cheese pockets.
Table of Contents[Hide][Show]
Why this Puff Pastry Cheese Pockets is A MUST-try:
Puff Pastry Cheese Pockets
- 1 package puff pastry sheet (thawed overnight in the fridge)
- 7 oz. Bulgarian cheese (grated (200 g))
- 8 oz. cream cheese (225 g)
- 5 oz. shredded mozzarella (150 g)
- Green and black olives (sliced)
- Some coarse black pepper
- 3 large eggs (beaten)
- 2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 egg (beaten)
- White and black sesame seeds (to sprinkle)
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Grab a large bowl. Mix the grated Bulgarian cheese, olives, and cream cheese in it. Don’t add the mozzarella cheese yet.
- In another bowl, beat the eggs and add the flour. Continue beating the mixture until smooth and clump-free.
- Pour the mixture into the cheese one and mix until it’s all well incorporated. Add in a sprinkle of black pepper while mixing.
- Put the mixture aside. Dust a clean work surface and lay out the puff pastry sheet. Roll it out and cut it into six rectangular pieces. Ensure that three of the pieces will fit in your cookie sheet.
- Line the cookie sheet with parchment paper and carefully place three pieces of the puff pastry dough on it.
- Using a spoon or butter knife, spread the cheese mixture on each dough piece. Leave the edges empty so you can seal the dough pieces together.
- Top the cheese mixture with, yes, more cheese, shredded mozzarella to be more specific!
- Grab the other three pieces of dough and place them on top of the cheese-topped ones.
- Using your hands or a fork, seal the edges of each pair together. The fork technique adds a cleaner look, and it’ll do a better job of ensuring the cheese doesn’t leak out when it melts.
- Score the top parts of the three pieces of dough so the heat enters the cheese mixture and evenly bakes the pastry.
- In a small bowl, beat an egg and use a brush to lightly coat the surface of each dough piece. It’ll create a more appetizing brown layer. Sprinkle some sesame seeds for garnish.
- Convection-bake the puff pastry cheese pockets in your pre-heated oven until they’re golden brown.
- Use a stainless steel cookie sheet rather than an aluminum one so the pastry bakes more evenly.
- If the slits on the pastry seal back during baking, use a knife to re-score the holes to avoid a doughy result.
- You can substitute puff pastry for Turkish Phileas dough or with oiled phyllo dough. They’ll give you four layers at the bottom and on top and a crispier cheese pocket.
- You don’t have to stick to Bulgarian or mozzarella cheese. You can take your pick. However, you can only substitute the cream cheese with sour cream.
- Take your cheese pockets to the next level in flavor town, and incorporate spinach, corn, scallions, or other ingredients into your cheese mixture!
your time to shine:
Want a chance to feature on our site? comment down below or send us your pictures @sharethecook
Oh, and we almost forgot!
This Puff Pastry Cheese Pockets is a part of our Lunch Series. Click NOW for more fun ideas you don’t wanna miss!