“This crispy and soft rice recipe is a must-try Persian dish that’ll feed your tummy and soul!”
Original Recipe Author
Rice is a globally loved dish, but let’s face it – it can get boring.
This delicious Persian rice recipe packs a punch of flavor, color, and texture with its potato crust and spicy seasoning. Try it once and it’ll become a permanent feature on your table!
Persian Rice Recipe
- 2 red medium-sized potatoes (peeled and sliced (½” thick))
- 3 tbsp. canola oil
- ½ tsp. turmeric
- ¼ tsp. curry powder
- A pinch of salt
- 2½ cups Basmati rice (or Persian)
- 1 tbsp. salt (to cook the rice in)
- 2 tbsp. canola oil
- ½ cup boiling water
- ½ tsp. salt (to mix with the boiling water)
- In a pot, add about half a gallon of water and bring it to a boil.
- Once it starts to boil, add a tablespoon of salt.
- Add the rice and stir.
- Bring the heat down to medium and partially cook the rice for about 8 minutes, stirring from time to time to prevent the rice from sticking.
- Strain the rice.
- Add a tablespoon of oil to the rice and stir well.
- In your cast iron skillet, heat 3 tablespoons of oil.
- Arrange the potato slices at the bottom of the skillet, packing them tightly next to each other.
- Fry the potatoes until both sides are a golden color.
- Sprinkle the potatoes with turmeric, curry powder, and salt.
- Add the rice on top of the potatoes and gently pat it down to smooth the surface.
- Bring the heat up to high and let the rice cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- In a bowl, mix a half cup of boiling water with a tablespoon of oil and half a teaspoon of salt.
- Pour the mixture gradually over the rice.
- Bring the heat down to low and cover the pot.
- Let the rice cook for about 30 minutes more.
your time to shine:
Want a chance to feature on our site? comment down below or send us your pictures @sharethecook
Oh, and we almost forgot!
This Persian Rice Recipe is a part of our Sides Series. Click NOW for more fun ideas you don’t wanna miss!