Old Fashioned Meat And Potato Pie
“The most fulfilling beef and potato pie you’ll ever make!“
Original Recipe Author
Old fashioned meat and potato pie is the beast of a dish is here to keep you full with layers and layers of juicy meat and mashed potatoes, enclosed in the perfect golden crust.
Let’s see how you can whip up this meat and potato pie recipe like a pro!
WHAT YOU’LL NEED TO MAKE
traditional meat and potato pie recipe:
- For the kitchen equipment, you need a large pot to boil the potatoes, a frying pan, and bakeware.
- To get the appeal of a traditional pie, we’d recommend getting a round baking pan. For this recipe, you’ll need one that’s at least 24 cm (10 in.) in diameter.
- A regular cake pan will do if you don’t have anything deep enough.
- Alternatively, you can just use a disposable foil pan approximately 26 X 32 cm (10 in. X 12 in.) in size.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Meat and Potato Pie Recipe
Can you freeze this savory pie for later?
Yes, you can stop at step 10 and freeze the dish overnight to cook the next day. You can also choose to split the portions over two pans from the get-go, one to freeze and one to cook.
Should I let the stuffing cool down before layering and baking?
No, letting the beef and potato pie stuffing cool down is not recommended before layering it in the bakeware. Ideally, it should be room temperature.
Read also: Grandma’s old fashioned chicken soup recipe
Old Fashioned Meat And Potato Pie
For the Mashed potatoes:
- 14 medium-sized potatoes (7 lbs/3.17 kg)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon chicken broth powder
- 1 tablespoon ground white pepper
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup breadcrumbs (4 oz/120 g)
For the Meat:
- ½ kg ground beef (17 ½ oz)
- 6 tablespoons oil (3 fl oz/90 ml)
- 2 medium-sized (0.5 lbs/227 g onions)
- 1 teaspoon salt (0.2 oz/5 g)
- ½ bunch coriander
- 1 tablespoon meatball spice (or Ras El Hanut spice)
- 1 teaspoon ground white pepper
- ½ cup toasted pine nuts (optional) (2 oz/70 g)
- A sprinkle of sesame for garnish (optional)
How to make meat and potato pie
- Soak the potatoes in water for 30 minutes
- Preheat your oven to 390℉/200℃
- Drain and peel the potatoes
- Put the peeled potatoes with water in a deep pan over medium heat and bring to a boil
- Drain the cooked potatoes and mash them in a large bowl
- To the same bowl, add and mix the eggs, salt, pepper, and chicken broth powder
- In a medium pan, heat the oil and fry the onion with the ground beef
- Keep stirring while you add the spices, coriander, and pine nuts
- Grease large bakeware with oil and sprinkle bread crumbs all over
- Working in 1 ½ cm (0.6 in.) layers, alternate between mashed potatoes and beef in the bakeware
- Sprinkle with sesame and bread crumbs
- With a fork, squiggle the top to create texture
- Bake for 1 to 1 ½ hours without covering the pan
- Serve the beef and potato pie steaming hot
Why Bother With the Bread Crumbs?
- When people say pie, they usually mean a stuffing between a bottom and a crust. Here, the bread crumbs in the bakeware act as the bottom enclosure.
- If you’d rather not use bread crumbs, you can use a store-bought pastry sheet made for savory dishes.
Go Easy on the Pine Nuts
- In this pie recipe, the pine nuts enhance the texture with a little crunch. They’re also pretty good for your health.
- However, there’s such a thing as too much crunch, so sprinkle them sparsely. On the other hand, you can skip this step entirely if you don’t have any available right now.
Read also: The Only onion soup recipe easy You’ll Need This Winter
your time to shine:
Want a chance to feature on our site? comment down below or send us your pictures @sharethecook
Oh, and we almost forgot!
This Meat and Potato Pie Recipe is a part of our Lunch Series, Click NOW for more fun ideas you don’t wanna miss!
Leave a Reply