“If you’re a Zaatar lover, this mouthwatering Manakeesh recipe is a must-try!”
Original Recipe Author
Tangy, nutty, herby, and savory, there’s nothing like a good Manakeesh recipe to explore the amazing flavors of Levant cuisine!
It’s rich bread covered in a heavenly mixture of Zaatar and olive oil; perfect to start the day, end it, and everything in between.
- 4 cups flour
- 2 tbsp. dry yeast
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- ½ tbsp. salt
- ½ tbsp. dry oregano
- 1¼ cups water
- ½ cup olive oil
- Zaatar and olive oil (to spread on the dough)
- Ketchup/pizza sauce (to spread on the dough)
- Dry oregano (to sprinkle on top)
- Vegetables of your choice (as much as you like)
- Some olive oil
- Shredded cheese (as much as you like)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- In a large bowl, mix together a cup of room-temperature water with sugar and yeast.
- Wait for 15 minutes before adding the rest of the dough ingredients.
- Knead the dough until its texture is nice and smooth.
- Cover the dough and allow it to rise for about 30 minutes.
- Knead the dough a little once again and then allow it to rise for another 20 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 4 balls and lightly flour each ball.
- Allow the balls to rest for a few minutes.
- Using your hands, flatten each ball into a thick pita.
- Spread as much olive oil and Zaatar as you like on each disc.
- Place the dough discs in a baking pan lined with parchment paper.
- Allow the discs to rise for a few minutes and then bake for about 25 minutes until golden.
- If you want the manakeesh to be pizza; flatten the dough ball and then spread some olive oil, ketchup, cheese, some dry oregano, tomatoes/olives, and drizzle some olive oil on top. Allow to rest for a few minutes and then bake until golden.
- If you want to turn the dough into pizza, flatten the dough balls into thinner discs or flatten the dough before diving in to make a large circle.
- Next, spread some olive oil, ketchup, cheese, some dry oregano, chopped tomatoes, chopped olives, pepperonis, and any other toppings you prefer.
- After that, drizzle some olive oil on top and allow the pizza to rest for a few minutes.
- Finally, bake the pizza at 400°F (200°C) for 20 to 25 minutes until golden.
your time to shine:
Want a chance to feature on our site? comment down below or send us your pictures @sharethecook
Oh, and we almost forgot!
This Manakeesh Recipe is a part of our Lunch Series. Click NOW for more fun ideas you don’t wanna miss!