“Who can resist aromatic, homemade bakeries?”
Original Recipe Author
Life is simply better with freshly baked bread – and we know you couldn’t agree more! That’s why, today, we bring you one of the most satisfying yet easy bread-baking recipes you can find.
Mini braided bread, or Challah as the Jewish people call it, is a classic, fluffy type of bakery that pairs perfectly with almost anything. As such, they’re an excellent choice to put out on holidays, special events, or just as a weekend indulgence.
Easy Mini Braided Bread Recipe
- 4½ lbs. flour (2 kg)
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 tbsp. dry yeast
- 5 cups water
- 1 cup oil
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. date syrup
- 1 tbsp. salt
Making The Dough:
- Start by putting the flour, sugar, and yeast into a mixer bowl. You can add more sugar if you’d like the bread to be sweeter.
- Mix the ingredients on low speed. Gradually, pour in your cups of water. There shouldn’t be any dry flour left once done.
- Note: How much water you end up using depends on the flour type you use. Make sure your flour doesn’t end up too wet. You need to make room for the oil you’ll be adding in later.
- After the water, you want to pour in the cooking oil then add the salt.
- Knead the mixture again till the dough is smooth and soft.
- Pro tip: Every now and again, you can pause the mixer and knead with your hands if you like.
- Cover the mixer bowl with a clean kitchen towel. Keep the dough somewhere dark so it can fully rise.
- Another pro tip: The dough will take an hour to rise in the summer since it’s warm out and will take longer during the colder months.
- Once the dough has doubled in size, punch loose the air.
- Start cutting pieces and weighing them after. They should be around 5 oz. (150g) each. Your dough will end up making around 25 pieces.
- Grab 3 pieces and begin rolling them out into a long cylinder shape.
- Now you can work on braiding the pieces! Make sure the braids aren’t so tight so they can expand nicely in the oven.
- Cover the rest of the pieces while you braid so they don’t dry out in the process.
- Repeat the braiding steps above till you’re out of dough.
- Put parchment paper down onto a baking pan. Space out your braided pieces on top.
- Cover the tray with plastic wrap or a towel. Allow it to rise for another half hour.
- In a separate bowl, mix the egg, date syrup, and a little water.
- Brush your mini bread with the sweet mixture. You can sprinkle your preferred toppings after. Many prefer sesame or black seeds.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C) before adding in the baking pan. That should take no less than 20 minutes but it naturally depends on the type of oven.
- Your bread will take about 13 minutes to cook. A nice golden color will form on the top and bottom!
your time to shine:
Want a chance to feature on our site? comment down below or send us your pictures @sharethecook
Oh, and we almost forgot!
This Easy Mini Braided Bread Recipe is a part of our Sides Series. Click NOW for more fun ideas you don’t wanna miss!