“Try this spectacular sushi recipe and fulfill your craving without going bankrupt.”
Original Recipe Author
Sushi is an acquired taste for most people, especially the Western population. The combination of rice, seaweed, and raw fish can be quite odd for many. However, once you give it a chance, you’ll find it delicious.
Primarily, sushi chefs spend long years trying to perfect their cutting skills and rolling techniques. That’s why such a cuisine is more on the pricey side than others.
Although an ordinary person can never reach that level of professionalism, making sushi at home is still worth it. Not only does it save you a lot of money, but it’s also a fun experience to go through at least once.
Even if you can’t acquire sushi-grade fish, you can still make awesome sushi rolls with what you have at home.
Easy Homemade Sushi Rolls
- 1 package sushi rice (you can find it in any grocery store)
- ½ cup rice vinegar for sushi (you can find it in any grocery store)
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- 1 tbsp. salt
- 3 unpeeled cucumbers (cut lengthwise into thin sticks)
- 4 stalks of scallion (cut lengthwise into sticks)
- 3 carrots (cut lengthwise into thin sticks)
- 1 avocado (cut into strips – optional)
- 1 yam (cooked and cut into strips – optional)
- 1 package of surimi sticks (ready to be eaten as soon as thawed)
- 1 package of sushi seaweed
- Rinse the sushi rice at least three times with tap water.
- In a medium bowl, soak the rice in water for 15 minutes.
- Cook the rice according to the instructions written on the package.
- In a small container, add the rice vinegar, salt, and sugar.
- Mix well until the sugar and salt dissolve.
- Add the mixture to the hot cooked rice and fold (be careful not to mash the rice).
- Allow the rice time to cool down before assembly (it’s better to cook it an hour or two in advance).
- Prepare a plate with all the cut-up ingredients of your liking.
- Place the sushi rolling mat on your work surface.
- Place a sheet of seaweed (nori) over the rolling mat with the shiny side facing down.
- Wet your hands before you start.
- Take a handful of rice and flatten it on the nori sheet as thinly as possible (leave a thin border at the top end with no rice on it).
- Arrange the vegetables and fish along the seaweed sheet (a little under the centerline).
- Roll up using the mat from the bottom upward (make sure not to roll too tight).
- Once you get to the empty border, slightly wet it and finish rolling.
- Dip a sharp knife in water before slicing the roll into six to eight pieces.
- Serve next to small bowls of wasabi paste and soy sauce.
- Always put the rice on the rough side of the nori sheet.
- If you want the rice to be on the outside, flip the seaweed sheet over after spreading the rice over it.
- Sprinkle the roll with black sesame seeds before cutting it.
your time to shine:
Want a chance to feature on our site? comment down below or send us your pictures @sharethecook
Oh, and we almost forgot!
This Easy Homemade Sushi Rolls is a part of our Lunch Series. Click NOW for more fun ideas you don’t wanna miss!