“A wonderful dish of tempura-coated chicken breast in amazing honey-lemon marinade”
Original Recipe Author
Back in the 16th century, a couple of Portuguese Catholic missionaries went to Japan for a quick trip. During their stay, they introduce a new fritter-cooking technique to the Japanese.
As time went by, this cooking technique spread in Japan and from there to the rest of the world; we call it tempura!
Among its various amazing dishes, we have the chicken tempura recipe. Though it looks a bit like fried chicken, the batter is different, and the taste is more light and savory.
So, if you’re interested in trying something that’s half Japanese, half Portuguese, you better head to the kitchen and prep your chicken!
Chicken Tempura Recipe
- ½ cup self-rising flour
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- ½ tsp. salt
- A pinch of black pepper
- 3-4 tbsp. cold water
- ½ cup sweet chili
- Juice from 1 lemon
- 3 tbsp. honey
- 4 tbsp. water
- Place all your tempura ingredients in a medium-sized bowl and mix until you have a thick batter—similar to tahini.
- Grab the chicken breasts and slowly dip each one in the batter.
- Heat up the oil in a large frying pan.
- Place the batter-dipped chicken strips in the oil and fry until they turn golden.
- Once done, remove the chicken pieces onto a plate covered with a paper towel.
- Now, in another pot, combine all the marinade ingredients together.
- Slowly mix on low heat until the sauce thickens a little bit.
- Place the fried chicken breasts in the marinade and mix it all together to ensure all the pieces are covered
- Serve and enjoy!
- If you don’t have self-rising flour, you can use all-purpose flour, but you’ll need to add a teaspoon of baking powder to it.
- If you don’t have cornstarch around, simply replace it with 2¼ teaspoons of baking powder or ½ teaspoon of baking soda.
- You don’t have to fret about the size of the cup, as it doesn’t really matter. The important part is to use the same cup for the entire recipe.
your time to shine:
Want a chance to feature on our site? comment down below or send us your pictures @sharethecook
Oh, and we almost forgot!
This Chicken Tempura Recipe is a part of our Lunch Series. Click NOW for more fun ideas you don’t wanna miss!