Best Fish Meatballs Recipe
“A recipe for Moroccan fish meatballs straight from grandma’s kitchen will treat you to a wonderful dish.”
Original Recipe Author
We all know how easy it is to get the kids to eat chicken or meat compared to fish. Once there’s a burger in front of them or a chicken nugget on their plate, they won’t think twice about eating it!
Sadly, it’s a different story when it comes to fish. That’s why we brought you the best fish meatballs recipe to try out!
This recipe changes the game by shifting the focus away from the classic “fish in a pan” and turning it into mouth-watering meatballs.
What’s more, it’s an incredibly easy-to-make recipe that’ll leave you and the guests asking for more. Let’s see how you can do it!
Best Fish Meatballs Recipe
- 2 lbs. frozen hake fish (1 kg – it is possible to use types of fish with white flesh, like tilapia, gilthead seabream, white grouper, sole)
- Freshly squeezed lemon juice (to soak the fish)
- 1 medium-sized red potato (peeled)
- 1 medium-sized onion
- 4-5 garlic cloves
- ½ tsp. lemon zest
- ½ bushel cilantro
- ½ bushel parsley
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. sweet paprika in oil (alternatively – regular sweet paprika)
- ½ tsp. turmeric
- ½ tsp. ground nutmeg
- ½ cup breadcrumbs (or ½ cup gluten-free breadcrumbs for those who are sensitive)
- 2 eggs
- 2 red bell peppers (cut into strips)
- 2 medium-sized carrots (peeled and cut into strips)
- 2 whole dry sweet pepper
- 2 green hot peppers (sliced in half)
- 2 whole garlic heads (peeled)
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas (alternatively – use canned chickpeas)
- 3½ cups boiling water
- 2 heaping tbsp. soup mix (alternatively – replace with 1 tbsp. salt)
- 2 tbsp. sweet paprika (in oil or regular)
- 1 tbsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. granulated garlic
- 1 tsp. turmeric
- ½ tsp. hot paprika
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ cup oil
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- A large bushel of cilantro (chopped)
- To prepare the fish, you must clean it properly and remove any extra ice around it.
- Then, drizzle the freshly squeezed lemon juice over the fish and let it soak up for about half an hour.
- Once the time is up, make sure you squeeze out as much liquid as possible from the fish.
- Place the potatoes, onions, garlic cloves, parsley, cilantro, and fish into the food processor and grind in short pulses until you have a smooth paste.
- After that, add the eggs, breadcrumbs, and spices to the paste and pulse again until everything is well combined.
- Place the mixture in the fridge for 30–60 minutes.
- After the mixture has chilled, oil your hands and start forming balls
- Place each meatball on an oiled baking pan and leave enough space between them so they won’t stick together. This recipe should leave with about 20 fish meatballs.
- To prepare your sauce correctly, place your vegetables with ½ of the chopped cilantro bushel in a low pot with a lid.
- After that, thoroughly mix the boiling water with oil, lemon juice, and spices in another small bowl.
- Once everything is well combined, add the vegetables and cilantro and bring the water to a boil.
- After it boils, lower the flame to medium-low heat and let it cook for about 15–20 minutes until it thickens.
- Take your fish balls and add them to the sauce one by one.
- You can shake the pot from side to side to ensure the meatballs are covered or use a wooden spoon to move them around.
- Bring the mixture to a boil again, then lower the heat.
- Bring the pot’s lid to cover it and cook for another 15–20 minutes.
- Sprinkle the rest of the chopped cilantro over the fish just five minutes before shutting off the flame.
- Serve alongside Challah and enjoy!
your time to shine:
Want a chance to feature on our site? comment down below or send us your pictures @sharethecook
Oh, and we almost forgot!
This Best Fish Meatballs Recipe is a part of our Lunch Series. Click NOW for more fun ideas you don’t wanna miss!